Notes and references for Pleasant Sunday afternoons in late Victorian Richmond – a glimpse at 1893-94

Pleasant Sunday afternoons in late Victorian Richmond – a glimpse at 1893-94

Notes and references

1  William Ward, Brotherhood and Democracy 1910

2  National Census 1881. Strangely, Deayton and his family do not appear in the 1891 census returns at all.

3  Alfred Deayton’s brother Charles was a joint owner of the business; he was an elder at Teddington Baptist church for some years and died aged 75 in 1916. The original grocery shop started in 1859 grew into what was to become a small department chain of four shops, three in Twickenham and one in Teddington. A store catalogue of 1902 advertises a range of grocery and other products, such as glassware, tea services and such like, with a delivery service by cart or van to Ashford, East Mosley, Hampton Court and Kingston.

4  Also admitted to church membership at the same time were four of their children – Annie aged 25, Frederick, aged 22, Leonard aged 18 and Harry aged 17.

Ibid William Ward.

6 ‘But you are not to be called Rabbi for you only have one Master and you are all brothers’, Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 23 vs. 8. New International Version 1984

7  During the first year of the PSA, Martin found time to get married in April 1894 to Edith Lewis. Under his ministry until he moved to Muswell Hill in 1900, the church saw substantial growth. The 1899 Church Manual lists 148 members, with 122 children on the Sunday list averaging 41 children in the morning and 81 in the afternoon. Other activities included the Band of Hope, Juvenile Dorcas Society, the (adult) Dorcas Society, the Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavour, a Sick Visiting Society, a Bible Class, Choir and, of course, the Pleasant Sunday Afternoon Society.

8  These were first aid courses run by the Richmond Centre St Johns Ambulance Association which donated £2 towards working expenses.

9  Sir Richard Temple served with distinction in the Indian Civil Service and became Governor of Bengal before he returned to England and was Conservative MP for Evesham. He was elected to the Kingston constituency in 1892, retired in 1895 and became a Privy Councillor the following year.

10  During the 19 years that he belonged to the Vineyard Church Deayton served as church secretary, deacon, delegate to the Congregational Union of England and Wales, the London Congregational Union, as well as the District Committee of the Surrey Congregational Union. He was also responsible for the Church Sittings or pew rents. He left the church by transfer to Twickenham Green in January 1912.

11  A Thames Valley Association leaflet containing the constitution of this local body shows that by 1918, there were ‘ PSA’s, Brotherhoods or Kindred Societies’ at Isleworth, Mortlake, Teddington, Twickenham, Raleigh Road, and Staines as well as at the Richmond Vineyard Church. As of 2008, none exist in this part of England although two societies still survive at Eltham Park Methodist Church and Sandown Baptist Church on the Isle of Wight.

12  The records of each meeting are meticulously minuted with the formality of motions being proposed, seconded and voted on in a manner rarely seen today in most meetings of societies or similar bodies.

Return to article