Visits and guided walks from April to July

Date(s) - Wednesday 26 July 2023
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Categories No Categories

From April to July, the Society organises a programme of visits and guided walks. They are all listed here: those shown in grey text have already taken place.

Guided visits Some of these are free to members, but where we are charged, prices are shown.

Guided walks: All the guided walks are free for members of the Society.  We start at 7.00 pm and conclude by 9.00 pm, adjourning to a historic local pub.  Numbers are limited to a maximum of 20 participants.

Members may bring one ‘guest’ free of charge; other non-members will be charged £5 per person, subject to availability.  We will give preference to members. 

The relevant booking contact is shown in the description of each event.

Visit, Wed 26 April:  Museum of Richmond’s Georgian collection

A short exclusive tour led by Vicky McGrath, the Museum’s Learning and Audience Development Officer, covering an important and changing period of history.  One of the town’s hidden secrets, the Museum tells the story of Richmond’s growth from Neolithic times to today.  This visit, at 2:00 pm, is free, but numbers are restricted. To book a place, email Simon   

Walk, Wed 3 May:  Kew Village and beyond

Focusing on the area between Manor Circus and Kew Gardens Station, led by the Society’s Chair, Robert Smith. We will also go inside the Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Loreto and St Winfride, on Leyborne Park,

Meet before 7.00 pm at ‘The Sandycombe Road’ bus-stop (routes 190, 419 and R68) on the Lower Richmond Road (close to Manor Circus).

To reserve a place, email Liz Velluet: 

Visit, Fri 19 May:  Leighton House and Sambourne House, Kensington

Leighton House, 12 Holland Park Rd, was the home of leading Victorian artist, Frederic, Lord Leighton; and Sambourne House the home of Linley Sambourne, legendary illustrator chief cartoonist of Punch magazine.  Both houses are wonderful examples of the fashions of Victorian decor.

Meet at Leighton House at 11.20 am, or meet at the exit barriers to Kensington High St tube station at 10.45 am to be guided to the house.

After a lunch break we will walk to Sambourne House at 18 Stafford Terrace, for a self-guided tour.

To book a place, contact Shirley Newton (see above). £23 per person.

Walk, Wed 31 May:  Spencer Gore’s Richmond

Exploring the heart of the Queen’s Road Estate, the former Parish Workhouse, Cambrian Road, Bishop’s Pond, and the site of the former South African Military Hospital.  Led by David McDowall, author of Cambrian Road – A History and Celebration, published in 2022, and Richmond Park: The Walker’s Historical Guide, with Paul Velluet.

Meet before 7.00 pm outside The Lass of Richmond Hill, Queen’s Road (‘The American University’ bus-stop, route 371).  We hope also to include a visit into the grounds of Richmond College – the former American University in London.

To reserve a place, email Liz Velluet: 

Visit, Mon 12 June:  Archives of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew   

The Archives hold 4,600 archival collections: the official records and history of the Gardens over the past 250 years, together with personal papers of many botanists, gardeners and other experts including Charles Darwin, Joseph Hooker, and Marianne North.                               

The visit is free for members, but numbers are limited.  

To reserve a place, email Simon   

Visit, Monday, 19 June:  Sudbrook House in the grounds of Richmond Golf Club

Grade I-listed Sudbrook House was built around 1725 by renowned architect, James Gibbs, for John Campbell, 2nd Duke of Argyll; and is widely regarded as one of the finest examples of eighteenth-century English Palladian architecture.

The visit will include refreshments. 

To reserve a place, email Liz Velluet: 

Walk, Wed 28 June:  Ham Common from the 18th century to the 21st century

Focusing on the development of the properties fronting Ham Common and its environs led by Richmond- and Ham-based architect and architectural historian Richard Woolf.

The tour will explore the rich architectural history of Ham Common, its fine 18th-century buildings, Victorian institutions and the pivotal role of Ham in shaping late 20th-century modern housing and into the modern day.

Meet by 7.00 pm outside The New Inn, Ham Common (‘The Ham Gate Avenue’ bus-stop, route 65).

To reserve a place, email Liz Velluet: 

Walk, Wed 26 July:  Richmond – The Restoration to the end of the reign of King George II

Identifying and learning about the Town’s surviving architectural heritage from 1660 to 1760, including a visit to the grounds of Asgill House. Led by the Society’s President, Paul Velluet.

Meet by 7.00 pm outside The Richmond Theatre on Little Green.

To reserve a place, email Liz Velluet: