Kentish Town Chapel

[v] Kentish Town Chapel: The land on which the new chapel in Kentish Town was built in 1805 was leased by St Barts Hospital to a Mr Clare. He gave permission to Thomas Wilson to build a chapel on it; when St Barts Hospital discovered what had happened, they ordered the demolition of the church, which was then dismantled, brick by brick. Two years later in 1807, it was re-built on an adjacent plot of land belonging to Lord Dartmouth, using the original building materials at a cost of over £2000. This was a hard lesson for Wilson to learn and it is likely that he would have been extremely cautious in any future purchases to ensure that full legal title was established.

Return to Peter Flower’s article